#1 - Tips for Negotiation
Did you see the amazing Kristen Bell's hilariously depressing video on Pinksourcing? I don't know about you but I had to laugh to keep myself from crying! Check out the video here:https://youtu.be/k_m5AlsQqcs, but here's the general gist:
- Women are cheap labor ($0.77 on the dollar)
- Women don't need overtime!
- They never ask for a raise!
- They remember birthdays and bring in baked goods!
- Free tampons make up for the fact that you make $30K less than their male teammates!
- Women don't even want to be working!
Pretty much everything here resonated with me, but I got really worked up about making $30K less than my male teammates. This one just hit hard. Why? Because it was true. When I was working in corporate america that was ME!
I could kick myself on all the missed opportunities to stand up for myself and ask for what I was WORTH!
TOP TIPS FOR NEGOTIATION
- Be prepared! The salary conversation comes up early and often. When a recruiter or hiring manager asks for your salary history or requirements, be ready!
- Do your research! Sites link http://glassdoor.com and salary.com are great resources to start with! It's so important to know the going market rate for your position or the one you are applying for.
- Focus on fit! Delay the conversation by stating that you are really focused on finding an opportunity that aligns with your strengths and goals and that your negotiable when it comes to salary.
- There is more than SALARY! So maybe you can't get your future or current employer to budge much on the base salary, but what about bonus, vacation time, flex schedule / hours, and other benefits? It's all on the table!
You are WORTH IT!